Conscious use of resources
how we use plastics
items where possible
used plastic into new items
Halving single-use plastics
We aim to cut down the use of single-use plastics by 50 per cent – or about 200 million pieces a year – by the end of 2022. To date, highlights include:
- Removing plastic straws and stirrers from all flights, lounges and offices globally.
- Carrying out product lifecycle analysis to develop guidelines for choosing inflight equipment.
- Introducing paper bags for duty-free purchases.
- Changing to biodegradable plastic wrapping for blankets, cutlery, and inflight magazines.
- Replacing styrofoam boxes with reusable inflight cooler bags.
- Removing single-use plastic cutlery, straws and stirrers from our employee canteens.
- Launching a rebate programme for returning plastic hangers to our subsidiary Vogue Laundry.
Improving waste management
Excess waste is a highly concerning environmental problem, and we’re working to cut back on the amount we create. We’ve increased our focus on waste reduction training and recycling programmes, while also harnessing digitisation procedures to improve how we manage the waste we create. Where possible, we seek to reuse items to avoid waste altogether.
We take sustainable sourcing seriously. We work closely with our suppliers to ensure we are always working to increase our use of sustainable materials, regenerated waste materials and recycled products.
Reducing food waste
We strive to provide top quality meals to our passengers and customers. At the same time, we aim to manage this process in a way that supports local producers and minimises waste and carbon footprints.
Meals are delivered as close to departure as possible to minimise waste.
Hong Kong charities
With Feeding Hong Kong and Food Angel, we redistribute surplus food to those in need – more than 300,000 pre-prepared meals during the pandemic.
Harnessing surplus power
Inconsumable food waste is sent for food recovery.
Food to fuel
We turn our used food processing oil into vehicle biodiesel.
Bread to beer
We used 250kg of surplus bread rolls to brew 12,000 cans of VHHX, a sustainable craft beer.
At the end of the service of our aircraft, we work with aircraft manufacturers and companies specialising in end-of-life solutions in order to salvage spare parts and recycle or reuse aircraft parts and materials. In 2021 we launched special memorabilia upcycled our beloved aircraft, including aviation tagsOpen a new window and pen and cardholder setsOpen a new window created for our 75th anniversary.