Prepaid extra baggage
Enjoy up to 10% off extra baggage when you purchase in advance
If you are planning on travelling with extra baggage, you can take advantage of our prepaid extra baggage service.
Passengers travelling on selected routes can book extra checked baggage allowance up to 24 hours before departure and enjoy up to 10% off.
You will save both time and money – and enjoy peace of mind before you fly.
- Prepaid extra baggage is available on selected routes marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific only.
- All flights in your booking must be marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific and ticketed by Cathay Pacific (ticket number beginning with 160).
- The discount applies across any connecting flights within 24 hours at the same airport.
Prepaid extra baggage charges
You can log into Manage Booking to check your ticket baggage entitlement and the price of the prepaid extra baggage for your journey. The extra baggage rate will be based on the time of purchase and your journey origin and destination.
Note: Prepaid extra baggage is unavailable for journeys involving certain flights, including but not limited to:
- flights to/from India
- flights to Hanoi
- flights to Manila (travel from 01 December to 31 December only)
Visit the Check-in baggage page to find out more about your baggage allowance.
Please note: We will not accept a bag over 32kg/70lbs in weight or 203cm/80in long in total dimension without prior approval. Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height, and length.
Items that exceed the agreed size must be repacked into split-up units. Otherwise, they will not be accepted on the flight. To avoid disappointment, please contact Customer Care at least three working days before you fly if your bag is oversized and/or overweight.
Special arrangements can be made for sporting equipment, musical instruments, mobility aids and medical equipment. Our prepaid extra baggage service cannot be used to prepay charges for pets and diplomatic bags.
Please note that prepaid extra baggage is non-transferrable and non-reroutable. If you change the date or time of your flight within your booking online, you’ll need to contact Customer Care to transfer your prepaid extra baggage purchase to your new flight.
If you change the destination in your booking or cancel your booking, your prepaid extra baggage will be forfeited.
In the event of involuntary flight disruptions or changes, please refer to our refund policy as stated below.
Prepaid extra baggage purchases are generally non-refundable, except for a few scenarios:
- If your flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific
- If you upgrade to a higher cabin using your Asia Miles or by paying the fare difference on the same route.
- If you rebook your ticket from Economy Light fares to Economy Essential fares or Economy Flex fares#, on the same route.
- If you rebook to another flight/date which falls in the blackout period.
- If you were initially holding a ticket where the baggage allowance is measured by weight and rebook a ticket where the baggage allowance is measured by piece.
For full details, please refer to our terms and conditions.
If you decide to cancel your booking or take less baggage than the amount of prepaid baggage purchased, the unused portion is non-refundable.
Please contact Customer Care for refunds within 14 days of the date of departure. Refunds will be made only in the original form of payment and in the original currency and amount paid after a refund request is submitted.
#Applies to new Economy Flex fares only.
- Prepaid extra baggage provides an option for passengers holding a ticket issued by Cathay Pacific (ticket number beginning with 160) with all flights in their booking marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific, to purchase extra baggage allowance ahead of the check-in period of their flight, at a discounted rate from the standard extra baggage charges applied at the check-in counter.
- Prepaid extra baggage purchases must be made for each checked-in portion of your booking, and must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the first flight of a checked-in portion.
- Eligible passengers can purchase prepaid extra baggage on applicable routes via Manage Booking or by contacting our Customer Care.
Alternatively, passengers can purchase extra baggage allowance at the standard extra baggage charges at check-in counters at the airport.
- Prepaid extra baggage is not eligible for passengers who are holding the following ticket type:
- Infant ticket (who does not occupy any seat)
- Ticket for an extra seat
- Group ticket (GIT)
- On hold booking
- Industrial ticket (ID/AD)
- Prepaid extra baggage will not be available during the blackout period. The blackout period is applied for selected routes and travel periods.
- Prepaid extra baggage cannot be redeemed using Asia Miles.
- No Asia Miles are rewarded for the amount paid for prepaid extra baggage.
- Prepaid extra baggage cannot be used to prepay charges associated with pets and diplomatic bags.
- Where two or more passengers have booked together and there is a pooled or grouped prepaid extra baggage allowance, all members of the group are required to check in together to ensure acceptance of prepaid extra baggage at the prepaid rate. Failure to do so may result in additional excess baggage charges.
- Prepaid extra baggage is non-transferable and non-reroutable. If a passenger decides to rebook the flight/date, prepaid extra baggage payment can be transferred to the new flight/date. Prepaid extra baggage purchases cannot be transferred to another origin, destination, booking, nor passenger.
- In the event of flight irregularity, the prepaid extra baggage allowance will be transferred to the new flight operated by Cathay Pacific.
- Prepaid extra baggage is non-refundable except for the below scenarios. Cathay Pacific will issue a refund for the prepaid extra baggage charges if the extra baggage allowance is fully unutilised under the following conditions:
- The flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways.
- Passenger upgrade to a higher cabin by using Asia Miles, or by paying the fare difference, on the same route.
- Passenger rebooks from Economy Light fares# to Economy Essential fares# or Economy Flex fares# on the same route.
- Passenger rebooks to another flight/date which falls in the blackout period.
- Passenger initially holding a ticket where the baggage allowance is measured by weight and rebooks to a ticket where the baggage allowance is measured by piece.
- Passenger is re-accommodated onto another airline, by Cathay Pacific.
Please contact Customer Care for refunds within 14 days of the date of departure. Refunds will be made only in the original form of payment and in the original currency and amount paid, after a refund request is submitted.
- If you decide to cancel your booking or take less baggage than your prepaid bag allowance, the unused portion is non-refundable.
- Upon check-in, if you exceed your total baggage allowance, including purchased prepaid extra baggage and original ticket allowance, the standard extra baggage charges will be collected at the airport check-in counter.
- Carriage of prepaid extra baggage is subject to Cathay Pacific conditions of carriage and carrier rules. Passengers are required to comply with Cathay Pacific Airways’ restrictions on prohibited and unacceptable items.
- Cathay Pacific reserve the right to refuse carriage as baggage for any reason according to the baggage information of controlled and banned items.
- Prepaid extra baggage will whenever possible, be carried on the same aircraft as you, unless we decide for safety, security, or operational reasons to carry it on an alternative flight. If your prepaid extra baggage is carried on a subsequent flight, we will deliver it to you, unless applicable law requires you to be present for customs clearance.
- Cathay Pacific reserves the right to adjust the applicable routes and/or flights, the amount of the prepaid extra baggage charges and revise these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
- Please contact Customer Care if you have any technical problems when purchasing prepaid extra baggage on Manage Booking.
- In case of any discrepancies between the English version and any translated version of these terms and conditions, the English version shall prevail.
# Economy Light fare is where “Economy Light” is shown on page 1 of the eTicket receipt
Economy Essential fare is where “Economy Essential” is shown on page 1 of the eTicket receipt
Economy Flex fare is where “Economy Flex” is shown on page 1 of the eTicket receipt