24-hour free cancellation
How it works
Become a Cathay member
Sign up to become a Cathay member and enjoy 24-hour free cancellation, along with other member-exclusive benefits.
Book directly with us
When you book directly on our website or mobile app, remember to sign in as a member and check that your membership number has been added to the “Frequent flyer number” field when inputting your personal details.
Cancel free of charge within 24 hours
Changed your mind after booking? If you need to cancel your ticket, you can do so free of charge within 24 hours through Manage Booking. You can check your original confirmation email for the date and time of your free cancellation period.
What you need to know
Bookings that can be refunded
We will refund flight bookings made directly with us on our website or mobile app if the:
- Flight is originating from Hong Kong, Singapore or the United Kingdom;
- Booking was made more than eight days before the departure of your first flight;
- Booking was paid with cash or a mix of miles and cash;
- Refund request was made via Manage Booking within 24 hours after booking; and
- Tax and fuel surcharge can also be refunded under the 24-hour free cancellation.
For travel extras purchased or redeemed in the same bookings, including advance seat reservations, pre-paid extra baggage and lounge pass, will be also qualified for refund via filling out online refund request form or contacting Customer Care.
Bookings that cannot be refunded
We are unable to refund bookings if:
- The flight is not originating from Hong Kong, Singapore or the United Kingdom
- Your first flight is within eight days of booking (less than 192 hours before departure)
- The flight ticket had been previously used, rebooked, reissued or held
- “Hold your fare” service has been used
- You’re holding a split booking (where one or more passengers have been separated from the original booking)
- The refund request is made after the date and time for free cancellation, as shown on the payment page and confirmation email; and
- The refund request is made through Customer Care, live chat or our mobile app.
We are also unable to refund:
- Asia Miles flight award bookings, hotel reservations, land and sea transportation, travel insurance and packages purchased together with flights
- Group and MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences, exhibitions) bookings
Frequently asked questions
Cathay members who purchased their ticket through Cathay Pacific – on our website or mobile app – can cancel their ticket free of charge* within 24 hours through Manage Booking. Visit 24-hour free cancellation to learn more.
*24-hour free cancellation currently only apply to flights departing from Hong Kong, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
All Cathay members are eligible. If you’re not a member, sign up now to enjoy 24-hour free cancellation.
Simply fill in your Cathay membership number at the time of booking on the “Passenger information” page to enjoy this benefit. If you signed up after booking, you can add your membership number to your booking in Manage Booking to enjoy 24-hour free cancellation.
Bookings made on our website at cathaypacific.com or Cathay Pacific mobile app are eligible for 24-hour free cancellation.
24-hour free cancellation currently only apply to flights originating from Hong Kong, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
Bookings that are not eligible include:
- Flights departing within eight days (192 hours)
- Asia Miles flight award bookings, hotel bookings, package bookings, group bookings, MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences, exhibitions) bookings, and land and sea transport codeshare services
- Flights not originating from Hong Kong, Singapore or the United Kingdom
Only advance seat reservations, pre-paid extra baggage and lounge pass purchased or redeemed in the same 24-hour free cancellation window will be eligible for refund.
The date and time for free cancellation will be shown on the payment page and confirmation email.
Travel extras including travel insurance and “Hold your fare” service fee are non-refundable under this policy.
The refund request must be submitted online through Manage Booking > Rebook and refund. 24-hour free cancellation refunds currently cannot be submitted through the mobile app.
Unfortunately online submission through Manage Booking does not support travel extra refund currently. Please submit travel extras refund request via online refund request form or contact Customer Care.
- Cash and bank transfer: 20 calendar days*
- Other forms of payment: 7 working days*
* Please note the time required for the actual refund to reach your account will depend on individual banks and payment service providers. The refund processing time might also vary between tickets and travel extras. The above guidelines do not apply to special refunds involving service on other airlines.
If you paid with Miles Plus Cash, the miles balance will be credited to your membership account after seven working days. Please refer to the Membership summary page for the refunded miles. The cash portion will be refunded to the original payment card within seven working days.
Yes, if you signed up after booking, you can add your membership number to your flight booking in Manage Booking to enjoy 24-hour free cancellation.
No. Even if you are not a Cathay member, you are still entitled to 24-hour free cancellation based on your local consumer law. For more details, please refer to this page.