An upgraded experience
With Bookable Upgrades, you can enjoy more space and comfort in Premium Economy Class, fine dining and award-winning seats in Business Class, or world-class service and luxury in First Class.
Learn more about our flight classes.
Bookable Upgrades by membership status
1,000 Status Points
1,600 Status Points
4 single-sector Bookable Upgrades
For yourself or a travel companion.
4 single-sector Bookable Upgrades
For yourself or a travel companion or a Redemption Group member. May also be given to a Redemption Group member travelling on their own.
Learn more about our distance zone.
To use bookable upgrade, a confirmed booking for the requested flight is required and the ticket must be issued in an eligible fare type:
• Business: Flex, Essential and Light (fare classes J, C, D, P and I)
• Premium Economy: Flex (fare classes W and R)
• Economy: Flex and Essential (in any fare classes)
Bookable upgrades are limited to tickets issued by Cathay Pacific and the ticket number should begin with ‘160’ only. All requests must be made online at least 3 days before the scheduled flight departure time.
We are introducing more ways for you and your travel companions to enjoy your bookable upgrade. From now till 31 December 2023, present your bookable upgrade vouchers – available on our website or mobile app – during check-in at the airport to enjoy a one-class upgrade, subject to seat availability. This arrangement gives you more flexibility for when we’re unable to confirm your bookable upgrade ahead of time.
See terms and conditions below.
Once you have reached the required number of Status Points, your mid-status benefit will automatically appear in your account for you to claim. Visit your mid-status benefits summary page to view your earned benefits and expiration dates.
- Please ensure you have a confirmed flight booking with a ticket issued in an eligible fare type: Business (Flex, Essential and Light), Premium Economy Flex and Economy (Flex and Essential). Fare types of Premium Economy Essential and Economy Light are not eligible for bookable upgrades.
- Sign in to your account and visit your mid-status benefits summary page and select ‘Request a Bookable Upgrade’ next to your benefit, or claim the Bookable Upgrade via Manage Booking. Requests must be made online at least 3 days before your flight departure.
- Fill in your details and select the passenger’s name and flight sector.
- Once you have submitted your request, a representative from our Customer Care will email you with the result within 72 hours.
- Once the upgrade is confirmed, the passenger’s flight details will automatically be updated under ‘Manage Booking.’ You can also visit your mid-status benefits summary page for the latest status.
- Please check in online or at the airport counter for the upgraded flight.
Request at airport check-in:
- Upon arrival at the airport, simply present the “My credited rewards” section of your membership account to our Airport Service team at check-in. This can be accessed via the Cathay Pacific App or your account on our website. Kindly note that screenshots will not be accepted.
- We will register your upgrade request in the check-in system using the voucher closest to its expiry date.
- To ensure we’re able to meet the needs of all eligible members on a flight, we will accept requests up until check-in closes and then action the upgrades just prior to boarding.
- If your upgrade is approved, we will inform you at the boarding gate, or you may check with the lounge reception team just prior to leaving the lounge. If you have a mobile boarding pass, you can simply refresh it while heading to the gate and your new boarding pass will automatically update to reflect the upgrade.
- You can only request a bookable upgrade for yourself and your travel companions travelling on the same flight as you during check-in at the airport.
- The upgrade request is subject to seat availability and cannot be used in conjunction with any other forms of upgrade such as Asia Miles and service recovery vouchers. As the upgrade can only be actioned after check-in closes, your baggage allowance and lounge access eligibility will be governed by your booked class.
- Requests can only be made on a sector-by-sector basis. If you are travelling to Hong Kong and have a connecting flight, please contact our lounge reception team immediately upon arrival. They will assist you in making the upgrade request for your onward flight.
- Status Points and Asia Miles will be credited based on original booked class after your flight. Please allow up to one month after your flight to receive the extra Status Points and Asia Miles.
- Other existing terms and conditions for bookable upgrade continue to apply.
Change or cancel a Bookable Upgrade:
- First confirm the booking for the flight sector you would like to change the benefit to, then fill out the online form at least 3 days before your flight departure. Cancelling the benefit will also cancel the confirmed flight booking.
- Once you have submitted your request, a representative from our service centre will email you with the result within 72 hours.
Bookable Upgrades must be requested online within 12 months of the date they were issued.
- Members eligible for Bookable Upgrades may claim the Bookable Upgrade online by submitting a Bookable Upgrade request form to the Customer Care.
- Bookable Upgrades are subject to availability.
- Bookable upgrade is limited to CPA ticket and its ticket number should begin with ‘160’ only.
- 4 Bookable Upgrade sectors will be awarded to Gold Members with 1,000 Status Points or more.
- 4 Bookable Upgrade sectors will be awarded to Diamond Members with 1,600 Status Points or more.
- Bookable Upgrades for Gold Members are available for ultra-short, short, and medium-haul flights.
- Bookable Upgrades for Diamond Members are available for all flight distances.
- Bookable Upgrades for Gold members are applicable to Members or their travel companions on flights operated and marketed by CPA.
- Bookable Upgrades for Diamond Members are applicable to Members, their travel companions, or their Redemption Group Nominees on flights operated and marketed by CPA.
- Each Bookable Upgrade allows one passenger to upgrade to one cabin class above the current booking for one sector.
- Travel benefits, Status Points and Asia Miles will be based on the next cabin class once the Bookable Upgrade is successfully claimed.
- Travel companions for Bookable Upgrades are guests travelling with the Member under the same booking.
- Each Bookable Upgrade is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
- Requested flight must have confirmed booking and ticket issued on eligible fare classes.
- Redemption Group Nominees may enjoy Bookable Upgrades without travelling together with the Member.
- Subject to seat availability, Economy fare types Essential and Flex, or Economy fare class Y, B, H, K, M, L and V will be upgraded to Premium Economy fare class E. The Economy Light fare tickets are not eligible for Bookable Upgrades. If Premium Economy Cabin is not available on the flight, the ticket will be upgraded to Business Class fare class I.
- Subject to seat availability, Premium Economy fare types Flex or Premium Economy fare classes W and R will be upgraded to Business Class fare class I. The Premium Economy Essential fare tickets are not eligible for Bookable Upgrades.
- Subject to seat availability, Business fare types Light, Essential Flex or Business Class fare classes J, C, D, P and I will be upgraded to First Class fare class A.
- Bookable Upgrades are not eligible for use in conjunction with Asia Miles flight upgrades and companion awards.
- No wait list is allowed for Bookable Upgrades.
- A Bookable Upgrade is subject to applicable taxes and other surcharges.
- Bookable Upgrade entitlements are status specific and are not available to Members on Membership Holiday.
- Requests, changes and cancellations must be made online 3 to 360 days before the flight departure date.
- Cancelling a Bookable Upgrade will also cancel the confirmed ticket booking.
- More than one Bookable Upgrade request for the same flight sector is not allowed.
- Any rebooking or change of date will be governed by the terms and conditions of the original class ticket.
- Not available for redemption, prize, group, ID/AD (industry/agency) discounts or other free tickets.
- Not available for Cathay Pacific Holiday packages.
- Member can check the distance zones on our Website.
- The Cathay Membership Programme terms and conditions apply. All matters and disputes relating to this benefit will be subject to the final decision of AML.