Reserve an extra legroom seat
Fly in extra comfort in Economy Class
Enjoy more personal space when you fly. Stretch out in our extra legroom seats in Economy Class—available for an additional from HKD390 / USD50*^ on short haul flights, and from HKD1,170 / USD150*^ on long haul. You can also redeem a seat with your Asia Miles.
Silver members of the Marco Polo Club or above and oneworld® frequent fliers (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald) can reserve their extra legroom seats free of charge.
Kindly note: Seats are subject to availability and offered on a first come, first served basis. Passengers must meet the exit row safety requirements stated on this page.
Reserving an extra legroom seat
- Choose an extra legroom seat when you book with us online or when booking through your travel agent.
- After booking a flight with us, you can log in to Manage Booking to reserve an extra legroom seat (available until 55 hours before flight departs).
- Alternatively, call our Global Contact Centre or your travel agent after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly.
- You can also book at our in-town or airport check-in counters.
- Asia Miles members: Call the Asia Miles Service Centre after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly. Alternatively, redeem your seat at the Asia Miles Service Counter at the Hong Kong airport.
- Marco Polo Club members (Silver or above): Call the Marco Polo Club hotline after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly; or redeem your seat at the Marco Polo Club Service Counter at the Hong Kong airport for free. Alternatively, you can book online to reserve an extra legroom seat for free. For Marco Polo Club Green members, see the below table for redemption using Asia Miles.
- oneworld® frequent fliers (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald): Call our Global Contact Centre after your ticket is issued, at least 24 hours before you fly. You can also redeem your seat at our in-town or airport check-in counters for free.
Please note: Marco Polo Club (Green)/Asia Miles members must have sufficient Asia Miles at the time of redemption.
Extra legroom fees
Flights between Hong Kong and Southwest Pacific, North America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East or the Indian Subcontinent (Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka).
USD 150/HKD 1,170*^
From 30,000 Asia Miles
|Short haul / regional
Other Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon operated flights not listed above, including flights between Hong Kong and Japan/Korea/China/Taiwan.
From USD 50/HKD 390*^
From 10,000 Asia Miles
*Charge is paid in HKD (first sector departing from Hong Kong) or equivalent in local currency (first sector departing from other destinations) by the exchange rate for USD at the point of sale, and is subject to currency fluctuation.
Extra legroom seats are located near the emergency exit doors*, and are subject to flight safety guidelines of the Civil Aviation Department of Hong Kong.
A passenger may be assigned an extra-legroom seat if he/she meets the following safety requirements, and will not obstruct emergency exits in a way of impeding the crew in their duties, obstructing access to emergency equipment, or hindering aircraft evacuation.
Passengers occupying an extra legroom seat must:
- Passengers occupying an exit row seat must:
- Be at least 12 years of age at the commencement of the journey, whether accompanied or not;
- Not be seated with an infant;
- Be able to understand and carry out cabin crew safety instructions;
- Not be under the influence of intoxicating substances or drugs;
- Not require the use of an extension seat belt.
- Not be a passenger with reduced mobility. This includes a passenger:
- Travelling with a Guide Dog/Assistance Dog or using mobility aid during boarding such as a wheelchair, walking stick or Postural Support Equipment (PSE);
- Who is either vision or hearing impaired to the extent that they might not readily assimilate printed or verbal instructions;
- Who requires the use of an oxygen bottle or Medical Portable Electronic Device (MPED);
If a passenger does not fulfill the above safety requirements, Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon may re-assign a regular Economy seat before or during the journey without a refund of the extra legroom reservation fee.
*Please note: Seat 40C of B77H, seat 40C and 40H of B77G are extra legroom seats that are not near emergency exit doors.
Please ensure you change your flight together with your reserved extra legroom seat. If you have reserved and paid for an extra legroom seat but you have changed the flight online with us, please call Global Contact Centres to arrange back your extra legroom seat.
Extra legroom seats are non-transferrable and non-refundable, with some exceptions.
Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon will issue a refund of extra legroom reservation fees if the seat is not utilised, under the following conditions:
- If your flight changes due to disruption.
- The flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways or Cathay Dragon.
- A connecting flight operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon is missed because of delay of a previous Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon operated flight.
- Your selected extra legroom seat is no longer available once you’ve changed to a different flight
- If your seat changed due to operational, safety, or security reasons and we are unable to offer you a suitable alternative seat
- If you choose to upgrade to a higher cabin class via Upgrade Bid, by using your Asia Miles points, or by paying the fare difference.
The refund will be from USD150 (long haul) or from USD50 (short haul), or the equivalent in your local currency. Refunds will be made in the original form of payment, with the final amount subject to currency fluctuation.
Please note: Customers who cancel their original booking without simultaneously rebooking another flight will not be entitled to a refund.
- "Reserve Your Seat" is a feature allow economy class passengers to pay and reserve for either a “regular seat” or an “Extra Legroom seat” on flights operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
- “Extra Legroom Seat” selection is subject to availability upon request. The offer and seat charge is based on individual sector for each passenger.
- Passengers need to fulfil exit row safety requirements when occupying extra legroom seats. Exit row safety requirements are available on this page.
- Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon has the sole discretion, at check-in or boarding, to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit on an extra legroom seat. If a passenger does not fulfill the necessary safety requirements, Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon may re-assign a regular Economy seat before or during the journey without refunding the extra legroom reservation fee.
- “Extra Legroom Seat” is available for ticketed passenger, seat will be assigned only upon full payment collection. There are some exceptions in which the fee is not applied such as when the passenger is
- Silver, Gold and Diamond tiers member of the Marco Polo Club*
- oneworld® frequent flyer (Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald)
*“Reserve Your Seat” charge is subject to Marco Polo membership tier at the time of request.
- “Extra Legroom Seat” selection are not applicable for unaccompanied minor, the booking with children and infant.
- No Asia Miles points are rewarded for the amount paid for “Reserve Your seat”.<
- “Reserve Your Seat” is non-transferable and non-rerouteable. If a passenger decides to rebook the flight/date, “Regular Seat” payment can be transferred to the new flight/date within the same booking. Note that “Reserve Your Seat” purchases cannot be transferred to another origin, destination, booking, nor passenger.
- Please be aware that “Reserve Your Seat” seat reservations will only be held until 20 minutes before the check-in counters close for your flight. Check-in counter closure times vary by destination; please refer to the airport information pages for further information. Any “Reserve Your Seat” seat reservation that is not used will not be refunded.
- “Reserve Your Seat” is “non-refundable” except for below scenarios Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon will issue a refund for the “Extra Legroom Seat” if the seat is not utilised under the following conditions:
- The flight is disrupted.
- The flight is cancelled by Cathay Pacific Airways or Cathay Dragon.
- The connecting flight is missed because of the re-timing of an inbound or outbound flight operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon.
- No extra legroom seat available on the new travel flight/date.
- Passenger is upgraded to a higher cabin after winning an Upgrade Bid.
- Passenger has upsell to higher economy fares or higher cabin on same destination.
Please contact our local reservation office for refund. Refunds will be made in the original form of payment after the request has been submitted.
- Extra-legroom Seats have certain characteristics, including the following specifications:
- There is significantly more legroom than other seats in the Economy cabin;
- The armrests between extra-legroom seats cannot be retracted because meal-trays are stowed in the arm-rest section;
- Extra legroom seats are located near the emergency exit doors*.
*Please note: Seat 40C of B77G and B77H, and seat 40H of B77H are extra legroom seats that are not near emergency exit doors.
- Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reserve the right to adjust the amount of the Fee and revise these terms and conditions at any time without notice.
- In case of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Terms and Conditions, the English version shall prevail.