Corporate Sustainable Aviation Fuel Programme
The Corporate Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) Programme is part of our ongoing commitment to combat climate change, and one of the first of its kind in Asia. With financial support from eight launch customers in the pilot phase, we are scaling up the use of SAF and for the first time we can supply SAF to flights departing from our home base at Hong Kong International Airport.
How the programme works
Our Corporate SAF Programme accelerates the global transition to sustainable aviation while providing our customers with clear documentation of their Scope 3 emissions reductions.
- Customers contribute to the purchase of SAF on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Pacific Cargo flights. The SAF purchased is certified by internationally recognised sustainability standards.*
- Cathay Pacific will make use of the SAF, instead of standard fossil jet fuel, to power its flights.
- Cathay Pacific will issue a verified emissions reduction certificate and proof of sustainability, to help corporates reduce Scope 3 carbon emissions from business travel or cargo transportation. This includes the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) for in-sector emissions reduction for aviation-related indirect emissions.
* Such as the EU Renewable Energy Directive, Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials (RSB) or International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC) system.
Why join our Corporate SAF Programme?
Customers who join our programme will be able to:
- Reduce Scope 3 Carbon Emissions via an insetting measure which fulfils various carbon emissions disclosure requirements, including the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
- Take the lead in accelerating the use of SAF, especially in Asia.
- Communicate a real commitment towards sustainable business travel or air cargo transportation to their stakeholders.
A message from our CEO, Augustus Tang
“We continue to pioneer our industry’s transition towards the substantial use of SAF. This programme will help to reduce carbon footprints and sends an important signal to the SAF supply chain that there is a firm interest in the region. We hope to encourage more companies to consider this collaborative approach to tackle climate change.”
“We believe partnerships are critical in combating climate change and building a sustainable future. Our participation in Cathay Pacific’s Sustainable Aviation Fuel programme is in line with our commitment to achieve net-zero by 2050. This partnership is aligned with AIA's Purpose of helping people live Healthier, Longer, Better Lives."
Group Head of Sustainability
"We support the transition to SAF to decarbonise the aviation sector, and HKIA is equipped with fuelling infrastructure for airlines to receive, store and uptake pre-blended SAF. We are proud to support Cathay Pacific to uplift SAF for the first time at HKIA, and we will encourage airlines to uptake SAF in the future."
General Manager, Sustainability
DHL Global Forwarding
"SAF is currently one of the key levers to avoid fossil fuels and thus prevent additional CO2 being emitted into the atmosphere. We believe that Cathay Pacific’s SAF programme is an important signal that will help to build a market for sustainable fuels in Asia."
SVP Head of Airfreight Asia Pacific
“We are delighted to partner with Cathay Pacific and like-minded corporates to make Hong Kong the sustainable aviation fuel hub of Asia. Accelerating innovation around climate change solutions and building global partnerships is a core part of our climate strategy to meet the Paris Agreement goal of net zero by 2050 or sooner.”
Chief Executive, Hong Kong
Kintetsu World Express
"Climate change waits for no one. I am honoured to be one of the launch partners of Cathay Pacific's Corporate SAF Programme. This should be a significant landmark of our partnership with Cathay for over 50 years."
President & CEO
“Climate change isn’t a challenge for future generations, but one that we must all tackle today. Taking action requires all of us to work together, through innovation, collaboration and bold thinking. We are proud to be partnering with Cathay Pacific in its Corporate SAF programme to support the development of sustainable aviation fuel in the region.”
Asia Pacific and China Chairman
“At Standard Chartered, our vision is to be the world’s most sustainable and responsible bank. We are delighted to be one of the first participants in Cathay Pacific’s Corporate Sustainable Aviation Fuel Programme, jointly contributing to the global transition to net zero carbon emissions by 2050.”
CEO, Hong Kong
“SAF is key to decarbonising the aviation sector. We are delighted to support the launch of Cathay Pacific’s Corporate SAF Programme and signal demand for low-carbon options from the business community in our home market. We hope that this pilot phase will provide valuable insights and pave the way for scaling up SAF uplift in Hong Kong.”
Join the climate fight
Learn how you can help to create a greener future while meeting the needs of your business.
While our SAF programme has been created for our corporate customers, individual passengers can also take action to fight against climate change. Our Fly Greener programme allows you to offset carbon emissions from your flights, with funds raised going directly to third-party-validated projects that help to reduce or prevent CO2 emissions.