CARES safety harness
CARES safety harness
If you will be travelling with children under the age of three years old, you can consider bringing your own CARES harness on board.
What is a CARES safety harness?
The CARES harness is a type of safety device for children that has been approved for use inflight by the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration). This car safety seat alternative has an additional belt with a shoulder harness that goes around the back of the seat to secure your child’s upper body. It needs to be attached to the normal aircraft seat belt to hold it in place. More information about the CARES harness is available at www.kidsflysafe.com, Link opens in a new window operated by external parties and may not conform to the same accessibility policies as Cathay Pacific
You (or the child’s travelling companion) need to provide your own CARES harness. You must purchase a separate seat for the infant or child to use the harness in, and the seat will cost the price of a regular child fare.
You must inform reservation staff when you book the seat - and our ground staff at check-in - that you intend to use the CARES harness inflight.
Using the CARES safety harness
If you plan on using the CARES harness, please remember that your child should be:
- Seated in a forward-facing passenger seat of his or her own
- Able to comfortably sit upright and unsupported
- Under 1 metre tall
- Between 10kg (22 lbs) and 20 kg (44 l bs)
Please note that a child aged between 2 and 3 who weighs between 10 and 15 kg (22 and 33 lbs) is not required to use a CARES harness.
Flight class and seats
CARES harness can only be used on seats without an airbag seat belt equipped in the following aircraft types:
|Aircraft Type||First Class||Business Class||Premium Economy Class||Economy Class|
|777-300ER (77W/ 77H)||√||x||√||√|
|777-300ER (77W/ 77G)||Not applicable||x||√||√|
|777-300 (773/ 73Z)||Not applicable||x||Not applicable||x|
|777-200 (772/ 772Z)||Not applicable||x||Not applicable||√|
|A330-300 (333/ 33K)||Not applicable||x||√||√|
|A330- 300 (333/ 33E)||Not applicable||x||Not applicable||x|
|A330-300 (333/33P)*||Not applicable||x||Not applicable||√|
|A350-900 (359/ 35G)||Not applicable||x||√||√|
* CARES Harness can be installed on selected aircraft only. Please check with our Reservations Office for details.
How best to use your CARES harness
Please read our tips to help use your CARES harness correctly. Your usage of the harness if your responsibility, so we ask you to check:
- The infant or child passenger does not exceed the weight or height limits of the harness
- The CARES harness is working normally
- The CARES harness is properly installed on the aircraft seat, following the manufacturer’s instructions
- The infant or child passenger is properly secured on the seat, following the manufacturer’s instructions
- The CARES harness has the correct FAA label attached, for checking by our staff.
- You may not use a CARES harness on seats in an exit row.
- If the infant or child passenger is to be carried on the responsible adult’s lap, you may not use a CARES harness for safety reasons. We will provide you with a Cathay Pacific CRD (child restraint device) instead.
Baggage informationFind out everything you need to know about baggage information when flying with Cathay Pacific
Check inSelect your seat and print your boarding pass to save time at the airport.
Contact usSpeak to our friendly Customer Services team, who are on hand to answer your question.
Frequently asked questionsSee answers to your frequently asked questions all in one easy place.