Please upgrade your web browser
You’re using a browser that we don’t support. To get the best experience using our site, we recommend you upgrade to a newer browser – please see our supported browsers list.

Unaccompanied minors

From the airport to the destination, we take every step to make sure your child is safe and comfortable during their trip.

Age at time of travel

6 to under 12 years old
If your child is aged 6 to under 12 years old, registration as an unaccompanied minor is mandatory unless they are accompanied by an adult passenger who is at least 18 years old.

12 to under 18 years old
You are not required to make any special arrangements for your children aged 12 to under 18 years old when they travel. However, you can still register them as unaccompanied minors if you wish for added care and attention.

Booking and fees


You can book a flight with unaccompanied minor service for a child travelling alone by contacting Customer Care or your travel agent. Please note that the service can’t be requested online.

Unaccompanied minor service must be booked at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time. When requesting the service, please provide all relevant information, including:

  • Adult's full name at point of departure
  • Adult's full name at point of arrival
  • Contact information (mobile phone number) for departure and arrival

Connecting flights

If your child is travelling on connecting flights operated by us – arriving at and departing from the same airport – the connecting time should be within five hours. Please note: the service is unavailable for unaccompanied minors transfering between flights operated by us and other airlines.


For flights arriving at and departing from different airports or with a connection time of 24 hours or more—unaccompanied minor service needs to be arranged separately for each journey in the booking with the respective operating airlines. Please contact the airline directly for details on their unaccompanied minor policy before purchasing tickets.

An additional fee will be charged per unaccompanied minor per flight sector at the time of requesting the service.

Flight sectors Fee per sector^

Hong Kong to/from airports in:

  • Europe
  • South Asia, Middle East & Africa
  • South West Pacific
  • The Americas
HKD 1000 / USD 130 (approx. CAD160)
Others HKD 500 / USD 65 (approx. CAD80)

^Fee is paid in HKD for any sector departing from Hong Kong SAR. For any sector departing from other destinations, the charge is paid in the local currency equivalent of the USD fee by using the USD exchange rate at the point of sale on the date of purchase. The local currency fee is therefore subject to currency fluctuation.

Travelling as an unaccompanied minor

Below you will find the step-by-step instructions for the journey of an unaccompanied minor.

After the unaccompanied minor service has been booked, please log into Manage Booking and complete the unaccompanied minor service form online. You’ll need to take printouts of the form for each journey.

Please review the country-specific regulations listed below on this page. Prepare all required documents ahead of time, as some countries have restrictions for children travelling with guardians or as unaccompanied minors.

You’ll need to be present at one of our counters for check-in and document checks. At 90 minutes prior to departure, we will escort your child through security and immigration procedures and take them to the departure gate. Please stay at the airport until your child’s flight has departed.

The unaccompanied minor will be guided to their seat by our airport team member.

Connecting flights
For connections involving a change of aircraft, the unaccompanied minor will be escorted between flights. An airport team member will remain with the minor during the entire connection period.

The adult nominated to meet your child at the destination airport, as specified in the unaccompanied minor service form, will need to provide proof of identification before we release your child to them.

Should the person at the airport attempting to collect the unaccompanied minor be different to the person nominated on the form, we will contact the parent or guardian to verify the identification of the pickup person at the destination.

Country-specific regulations

Certain countries have specific restrictions for children travelling as unaccompanied minors, as listed below. Please note that the regulations described below are subject to change, and that the country/destination you are travelling to may not be listed.

Extra documentation varies depending on the country you are travelling to, so please check with the relevant government authorities to make sure you have everything you need before you travel.

Any minor less than 18 years old that is either a citizen or a resident of France shall obtain authorization to leave France for any journey without a parent or legal guardian. The customer must hold their own passport, a permit to travel form (L'autorisation de sortie du territoire) signed by a parent or legal guardian and a photocopy of a valid identity document of the parent or legal guardian who provided his or her signature for the permit to travel form before they can be accepted to travel.

This requirement applies to flights departing France only.

Although not a regulatory requirement, the Irish government advises that anyone less than 18 years old who is not travelling with an adult 18 years or older, should have the following documentation:

  • A signed letter from the parent or guardian giving consent for travel with their contact details
  • A photocopy of a valid identity document of the parent or guardian
  • Evidence of the parent or guardian relationship with the child
  • A death certificate in the case of a deceased parent
  • If the minor is not ordinarily resident in Ireland, they should also have:
    • Full address of where they will be staying
    • Full contact details of who they will be staying with

In the event where a minor is accompanied by an adult with a different surname or by a person that is not their parent or guardian, Immigration may request for further information on the relationship between the minor and accompanying adult. In the event that a child is travelling with only one parent, Immigration may request evidence of consent from the other parent.

Parents are advised to carry evidence (originals or photocopies) of the following where applicable:

  • A birth or adoption certificate, or guardianship papers showing the relationship with the child
  • A copy of a document identifying the parent or guardian
  • A marriage or divorce certificate in cases where the adult has a different surname to the child
  • A death certificate in the case of a deceased parent
  • A signed letter from the parent or guardian giving consent for travel with a specific person and their contact details

Until 14 years of age, minors traveling on an Italian passport/travel document: 

  1. must travel accompanied by at least one parent or guardian
  2. if travelling with someone other than the parent / guardian mentioned on page 5 of the minor’s passport, must carry with them, an authorization (Dichiarazione Di Accompagnamento) signed by both parents and issued by a competent authority (e.g. police headquarters in Italy or a consular office abroad).
  3. if travelling alone, is required to travel as an Unaccompanied Minors on all Cathay Pacific operated services. They must also carry with them, a completed authorization (“DichiarazioneI DiI Accompagnmento”) signed by both parents and issued by a competent authority (e.g. police headquarters in Italy or a consular office abroad) including the name of the airline (i.e. Cathay Pacific) to which the minor is entrusted.

For more information, please contact:
European UnionOpen a new window

All children under 15 years of age who are not citizens residing in the Philippines and are not accompanied by a parent with the same surname are required to carry proof of their relationship. Any other adult (such as relatives or friends with the same surname) cannot take the role of the escort.

A “Waiver of Exclusion Ground” (WEG) is required for any child under 15 years of age not residing in the Philippines and travelling without a parent. Parents and Guardians are required to contact their nearest consular representation of the Philippines to arrange the necessary documentation before travel.

When travelling as an unaccompanied minor

  • An unabridged birth certificate / equivalent document (original or copy
  • A letter of parental consent from one or both parents or legal guardian, court order or death certificate, as appropriate
  • Copies of identification documents or passport of one or both parents or legal guardians and the persons where the child will stay, including visa or residence permits (if required)
  • Contact details of parents or legal guardians and the persons where the minor will stay in South Africa

Review updated requirements from the government of South Africa here or on our Passports and visas page.

For more information, please contact:

South African Department of Home Affairs

Local South African Embassy

Statement from Mkuseli Apleni, Director General Home Affairs, South Africa

Note:Third party websites are included for your information and reference only. Cathay Pacific Airways takes no responsibility for the content and accuracy of any such websites.

All children less than 18 years old shall meet the following requirements to be permitted entry to the United Arab Emirates:

  • If not travelling with a parent or guardian with the same surname, they shall have an official document (such as a birth certificate in original or photocopy) available to prove their relationship
  • If travelling with an adult (18 years old or above), a letter of authorisation signed by the parent or guardian together with a copy of the birth certificate or an affidavit will be required. The United Arab Emirates does not provide a standard format for the letter of authorisation.
  • If travelling alone and aged from 6 to less than 18 years old, they are required to travel as an Unaccompanied Minor for their entire journey.

Any person unable to fulfil the above requirements will be refused entry and fines may be imposed on the airline.

All children under 16 years of age travelling alone to the UK must provide one of the following:

  1. Written consent and proof of stay
    • Written consent from their parent or guardian and their contact details
    • Proof of where they will be staying in the UK and contact details of the person they will be staying with in the UK
  2. Student documentation and letter from school
    • Student documentation
    • A letter from school to indicate the name of the person meeting them on arrival and their contact details

For more details, please visit the UK government website.